9th Annual Conference of the Canadian Association fornRefugee and Forced Migration Studies (CARFMS)
EGH, University of Winnipeg, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Date and Time
14 May 2016 / 9:00-10:15am
Keynote Address Title:
Mr Francisco Rico-Martinez
Co-Director, FCJ Refugee Centre
– People who request asylum status since 2012 are still without response because the Canadian system is creating a long backlog of asylum seekers’ cases.
– There are 13000 case of asylum seekers are in the backlog of the IRB. And the IRB is still expecting 18500 cases this year 2016.
– Somalians are difficult to reintegrate in Canada.
– There is a need to create man immigration class to fix the broken system of Canada immigration.
– Visa renewal in Canada takes about three to four months processes.
– 50000 cases are currently opened for removal procedure (expulsion) in metropolitan Toronto.
– There is no parliament committee in Canada that check the cases of migrants in long-term detention.
– Non-status people in Canada are being given educational opportunity thanks to the initiatives of the FCJ Refugee Centre.
– During the Second World War, half a million were received in Europe.
– give a hand to the neighbors and try tom protect them
– In Canadian immigration system, there is bias.
– The women are not entitled to say the truth because the man is given the chance and not the woman to talk.
– The pre-removal risk assessment.