9th Annual Conference of the Canadian Association for Refugees and Forced Migration Studies (CARFMS)
FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT: Exploring a Path from Armed Conflict, Persecution, and Forced Migration to Conflict Resolution, Human Rights, and Development
Date & Time:
12 May 2016, 10:30am-12:00am
MSC Room 1MS16, Menno Simons College, University of Winnipeg, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
PANEL THEME & DISCUSSION:
EUROPE’S MIGRATION CRISES: POLICY AND LEGAL RESPONSES
JUSTICE ISSAC LENAOLA: Presiding Justice, Constitution and Human Rights Division, High Court of Kenya; Deputy Principal Judge, East Africa Court of Justice; and Judge of the UN Special Residual Court for Sierra Leone
Acknowledging the impacts of interdiction: Producing post-interdiction knowledge and policy change>
1. Sonah Marwah : Program Officer, Project Ploughshares
2. Sandy Irvine: Assistant Professor, Political Science, Wilfrid Laurier University.
Responsible treatment In the field of Migration – Opinion 2/13 and the Shifting relationship between the ECHR & EU law.
3. Nanette NEUWAHL: Jean Monnet Professor, EU Law, Unversity of Montreal and Director of Studies, College of Europe (Natolin)
The protection of human rights will deteriorate or ameliorate.
What is the screening process to interdict someone from entering the country?
– the expectation of an independent bodies
– the way of telling migrant’s stories through technology>