Conference: 2016 International Conference on Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, and Engaging Men & Boys.
Date: Wednesday, 23 March 2016
1. Mark Wynn (Lieutenant [Ret.], Nashville Police Department, Nashville, TN)
1. POLICY : Evaluation of Policy around domestic violence, ensure policies encourage a course of conduct.
2. TRAINING: Develop a training curriculum which evolved every aspect of policing and carefully document the curriculum and training of all officers. Assess the training by testing officers, by monitoring the in-the-field performance and evaluation.
3. ADMINISTRATION/SUPERVISION: Are we treating VAW crimes like all other crimes? Explore department climate and culture. Hiring & promotional screening and background for IPV, sexual violence and gender bias. Is policy and practice the same thing in VAW response? First-line supervision and oversight of supervisors. Monitor policy compliance.
1. Public Trust: do officers know the expectations.
2. Build a strong data collection and Analysis system which includes VAW crimes.
3. Documents and analyse the cases reported.
1. Know the laws
2. Review legislation: watch for changes in the law.
3. National best practices: DOJ- 8 principles to prevent gender bias in policing.