Event: Opening Session of the CSW59
Location: United Nations Headquarters, New York
Speaker: Secretary General Ban Ki-moon
- 2015 is a crucial year for achieving gender equality.
- Women and girls must be at the centre and front of the debate.
- Women continue to suffer disproportionately.
- Assaulting a woman means attacking a human.
- Women are not merely the victims, but that they are carriers of the blame.
- The need to tackle the radicalisation of youth.
- The completion of the Beijing20 foundation.
- The goal must be 50-50 by 2020.
- To recognise the crucial roles of women in all aspects of life.
- We need to shift the mindset of men on gender because without this, women will continue to be victims.
- The world cannot realise its goals if 50% of its population have not achieved its potentials.